Wiki Editing 101
Members Only Area
Using a wiki is simple once you get the hang of it. Just like on Wikipedia, anything can be edited and since it's a wiki you can't mess anything up by editing. Everything can be undone easily so don't worry -- just get started! :)
The best starter guide for learning how to edit a wiki is written by Wikipedia themselves. Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial
It is critical that you understand Templates to edit a wiki and to not waste time!
- Templates - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Template
- Templates Quick Guide - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:A_quick_guide_to_templates
You can see the most linked to templates at Special:MostLinkedTemplates.To add a template to your wiki to use, just go to the template, click edit and copy the code then paste it to the same name on your wiki.
For example, you could go to http://gamification.org/wiki/Template:GMBox, copy the code and paste it to http://gamification.org/x/Template:GMBox so it then could be used on your wiki. I have attempted to setup most of the basic templates for you but many of them have not been copied over!
With MediaWiki you can have comments in the text that no one can read except for editors! This can be useful if you're translating a page and don't want to show some part of the text yet that isn't done -- or you just want to make a note for yourself or other editors!
To leave comments you just write the text with the following formatting: <!-- YOUR TEXT HERE --> Note you can only see that text because we placed nowiki code around it, so that Mediawiki would not hide the text.
Import and Export
If you're interested in trying a more advanced method of copying content to gamification.org/x, you can try to learn to use: Special:Export & Special:Import. Instead of copying and pasting, you export and import an XML file.
For manuals read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Export
- Special Pages - Special:SpecialPages -- Pages that help you do... special things on the wiki. :)
- Tips & Tricks - Partners:Tips
- Editing the Sidebar - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interface/Sidebar
- Formatting - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting
- Namespaces - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Namespace
- Talk pages - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Introduction_to_talk_pages
- Collapsible Elements - http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Collapsible_elements
- Image use policy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy
- Using images - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Images
- Extended Image Syntax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Extended_image_syntax
On Gamification.org we use MediaWiki, the same software used on Wikipedia. To learn more about which version of Mediawiki we are using and which extensions(kind of like simple plug-ins that add functionality) we have installed, you can view the Special:Version page.
That's the basics that should get you off to a good start with a solid foundation of knowledge. Let us know if there are any other beginner things we should mention here -- or better yet, add them yourselves! :)